Monday, March 2, 2009

Bloglines, LibraryThing, and Delicious

I have been using Delicious tags for the past 3 years. Since I work in 2 different schools and do alot of my work from home, this is the only way to keep track of favorite sites and resources. I have to admit, I still add to My Favorites, simply because it's easier, but it's always been one of my resolutions - to be better organized and more disciplined! Admittedly, using Delicious would be a step in the right direction, I just have to break the habit of clicking on the Add button for My Favorites.

I became interested in LibraryThing as a social bookmarking site when I was working on a paper for Cataloging. The concept of being able to review books and enter comments on an OPAC system in a public library is pretty intriguing. From a personal standpoint however, it does not really appeal to me as my book collection is not all that extensive - I'm a regular library patron.
While I enjoy reading other people's reviews, I really have no interest at this point in posting my own. Time is way too short for me to become involved in this. I fear it may be one of those things, like the new Facebook account my daughter made for me, that saps time!

Bloglines is another way to organize all one's favorite sites, while also receiving recommendations for new sites in areas of interest. It kind of does the shopping for you, which makes life easier. I do wonder how an organization or a site becomes included on the Bloglines feeds list., what are the criteria?

I'm finding that there are so many nuances to each thing we explore, that I am starting to get overwhelmed by it all. I'm at the point where even though I would like to find out more about the various systems, I know that I will have to wait until this is more feasible timewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment